A collection of my adventures, experiences and everything in between; mostly sights, stuff, food and anything under the moon.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Dragon Playground @ Toa Payoh; Singapore


I visited a temple in Toa Payoh and on my way back to the MRT station (I decided to walk) I spotted a dragon! It wasn't exactly a literal dragon, a monitor lizard or a statue that you would see at temples; but a children's playground.


Upon closer inspection the dragon playground is decorated with a mosaic pattern. It's both innovative and creative.


I would later learn that this playground (and others like it) were designed by Mr. Khor Ean Ghee. He worked with the HDB (Housing Development Board) in the 1970s and 1980s. He basically wanted to create an outdoor space where children could safely play, and at the same time learn and know about their culture and heritage.

Among the playgrounds he designed, the Dragon, was his favourite (the Dragon being a lucky and favoured in Chinese culture).



And who wouldn't want to play in a playground like this.? I can just imagine all the kids who have played here. It looks really fun!

My personal favourite in playgrounds was the sandbox! I would imagine being in some forest or desert looking for some ancient treasure or play with my dinosaurs until it was time to go home. And this dragon playground has a large one, I could just imagine the hours I could spend here if I was a kid again.







It's sad that nowadays most kids prefer to play with iPads and tablets more, I guess it's part of progress; but I'm still saddened since the need for playgrounds such as this one may one day come to an end. 

When I am with my nephews, I do encourage them to play outdoors and bring them to playgrounds and parks and run after them. I would tell them stories of how I would bug my mom to let me explore a park on my own and go through the trees or play in the sandbox making up stories for myself.

This Dragon Playground @ Toa Payoh is located at:

Blk 28 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh, Singapore 310028

Directions via Walk:

From Toa Payoh MRT Station:

Turn right into Lorong 2 Toa Payoh
Turn left into and go straight on Lorong 6 Toa Payoh (about 900 metres)
The Dragon Playground will be on your left

*about a 10 minute walk

Directions via Bus:

From Toa Payoh MRT Station:

Walk to Toa Payoh Bus Interchange
Take Bus 238 (towards Lor 8 Toa Payoh)
Alight after 2 stops; Opp Toa Payoh Stadium
Walk straight on Lorong 6 Toa Payoh (about 100 metres)
The Dragon Playground will be on your left

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Moonlit. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig