A collection of my adventures, experiences and everything in between; mostly sights, stuff, food and anything under the moon.

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Nawa: T'boli Bangles (for a Good Cause)


I am a massive fan of indigenous art and culture (trinkets, jewelry and accessories included). So when I saw a post on Facebook that celebrated T'boli art through a simple brass bangle, I knew I just had to get my hands on one!



These T'boli bangles are from Nawa, a proudly Filipino brand. A great thing about it is that, the brand is also a social enterprise!!!! Each purchase of a bangle helps the T'boli people keep their culture and traditions alive.

Nawa is the brainchild of two partners; one of them frustrated when she couldn't find brass bangles in Metro Manila and the other had gone and met with the T'boli people, who are master craftsmen (and had been for years) of brass bangles. They came together, filled a gap in the market and went on the journey of promoting T'boli culture through these brass bangles.


I had failed to make the connection when I first saw the post about Nawa, but I had come to realise after making my payment that my friend (Jopie Sanchez) is one of the people behind the brand!

Thank you so much Jopie!


When my bangle arrived it was wrapped in simple packaging. But even with the simple packaging, I could tell that a lot of heart and warmth was put into it (something I greatly appreciated).

Simple & "warm" packaging


Each of these ethereal bangles are made by hand, so not a single one is alike; just like snowflakes each one is uniquely beautiful (something I am drawn too when it comes to brands and products). Nawa gets the bangles straight from the T'boli in Lake Sebu, South Cotobato.

This small brass bangle tells a powerful and magical story. It just has that ethereal and mystical quality about it, which gave me glimpse into a culture rich in heart and soul.


I love Nawa (both the bangle and the brand). It is not only a Filipino brand, but also a brand that celebrates cultural diversity. Nawa gets people to become aware of a people/community that they might have never heard of in their lives (much less interact with) and gets them to care and do their part in preserving the T'boli culture (through a simple act of making a purchase).

What's on my wrist today(?): My Nawa T'boli Bangle in between my silver
crescent moon bracelet and my Tibetan Om Mani Padme Hum bangle

Keep it up Nawa!!!!

Each Nawa T'boli Bangle costs PHP 250.00 per piece
*6.5 inches, 7.5 inches
*add PHP 150.00 for custom sizes

Shipping: 

PHP 70.00 (within Metro Manila)
PHP 100.00 (areas outside Metro Manila)


You can follow Nawa at:

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Get ready to explore the fabulous range of women bangles at the online store of IndiaRush

    ReplyDelete

© Moonlit. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig